Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Review: "The Woman In Black"

Okay, here's a quick book review for ya. I'll admit, the reason I wanted to read this book is because the movie comes out soon . . . The reason I was interested in the movie in the first place (since I'm really not a fan of scary movies) is that Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) is starring in it, and I wanted to see how he does. Anyway, aside from my possible nerdiness, I think the book is well worth reading.

The Woman In Black by Susan Hill is really quite a harrowing tale. Hill sets an ominous tone right from the start, and while there are lighter parts to the book, the undertone remains the same. While some of the back-story could have been fleshed out a little more, I easily connected with the main character, and found him likable and someone with whom I could commiserate.
As a young man trying to earn/gain more responsibility from his employer, Arthur Kipps eagerly agrees to make a trip to small village out in the country to settle the affairs of a deceased, elderly woman. It quickly becomes apparent that people in the village dislike discussing the woman, her estate, or anything concerning her house out past the marshes. Kipps discovers why, and his journey will make your heart beat faster, to say the least.

I'm not much for ghost stories, but Hill's style of writing, combined with flawed, yet appealing, characters made this 130+ p. book a fast, enjoyable, and thrilling read. If you get a chance, check it out!

On a Side Note: I can't find my camera-charging cord anywhere. It is driving me insane. I am 99% sure of when and where I last used it, but can't seem to find it. SO, I may have to see if I can get a new one, otherwise I can't take any pictures . . . of anything. It's very annoying; I rely on my camera almost on a daily basis! Maybe The Borrowers are roaming around our house . . .

1 comment: