Tuesday, April 19, 2011

7-Layer Cookies

Almost everyone is familiar with the delicious and ever-popular 7-Layer Bars. The gooey goodness of chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, and nuts held together by a buttery graham cracker crust is a sure winner every time (except by those who can't eat nuts . . . sorry brother-in-law Jacey). Well, this post was inspired by my cousin, Chrissy. When she and my friend Deanna came to visit this past weekend, she told me about these cookies from Bruegger's that she absolutely loves that are similar to 7-Layer Bars, but in a cookie format. After hearing that, I was determined to attempt to try them myself because I love the bars, but cookies are so much more portable and toddler-friendly! I think they turned out really well - I'll be bringing some home for Easter and I'll let you know how they go over with my family!

1 c. butter or margerine
1 c. white sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. butterscotch chips
1 c. pecans
1 c. coconut

Preheat oven to 375 F. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy - about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add salt, soda, flour and graham cracker crumbs and mix until just combined. Add in both chips, pecans, and coconut and stir until fully incorporated. Drop cookies on greased cookie sheets (or use parchment paper) and bake for 12-16 minutes. (Later batches of cookies seemed to brown more quickly.) Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment