Thursday, April 21, 2011

Two Under 2

When my husband and I first found out that I was pregnant with our second baby we both went through a wide range of emotions. I won't lie, my first thought was probably something along the lines of, "Whoa, already?! I'm not sure if we're ready!"  BUT, that was followed closely by pure excitement. I think I was more nervous about how I would do it being home every day with two really little ones, whereas Dusty was more concerned with the financial aspects - that's usually how it works in our house. :) We're both pretty financially responsible, but he's the one to make sure we're on track as far as spending, saving, etc.


 As much as I loved being home with Asher for his first year, I was ecstatic to be able to teach at UNI during the fall of 2010, so I wasn't sure how it would be to be back home again. It was harder than I thought when it was just Asher and I - I definitely missed interacting with adults on a regular basis and being able to run an errand on a whim instead of making sure he was recently fed, had a diaper change, and that I had the diaper bag fully stocked. So, after teaching (which I LOVE), I didn't know if I was ready to be a stay-at-home mom again. But, the transition went a lot more smoothly than I (and probably Dusty, too) thought it would. I wouldn't trade the time I've had home with both boys for anything. There have definitely been wonderful days and well, to be frank, absolutely horrible days, but Asher and Aiden are little miracles and I see it in them every day.


My older sister, Libbi, and I are 21 months apart in age and really close, so Dusty and I were really excited to have our kids be close in age, too. When we found out we were having another boy, we were thrilled and couldn't stop picturing how they would grow up together and what types of mischief they might get into. Asher's already in the mischief stage - his big thing right now is to run away laughing every time we say it's time for bed . . . or a nap . . . or a diaper change - but he loves his little brother so much. It's really amazing to see it at such a young age! The other night Dusty was giving Asher supper while Aiden was on his playmat; when it was time to pray, Asher went over to Aiden and tried to fold his hands so he could pray, too. (I missed it, but apparently it was adorable.) He has also been known to try to share his snacks with Aiden - I just think it's so cute that they've already formed such a brotherly bond. Aiden is Mr. Smiley, and as long as Asher's not barrelling toward him, he loves to keep his brother in his sight. It's moments like those that help me realize how blessed I am.


With Good Friday and Easter coming up and having two sons of my own, it really helps me appreciate God's sacrifice of His own Son. It's something I can't imagine having to do (can you?), but makes me so very thankful. So even though it hasn't been all smiles and fun to have two under 2, it has definitely been a wonderful adventure so far and one of the best blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment