Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Annual Ice Cream Cake!

It was my hubby's birthday on July 29th - his golden birthday, actually. I am so lucky to be with him. Intelligent, funny, kind-hearted, wonderful father, and let's not forget good-lookin'! I'm blessed, and so are our boys.
I forgot to mention he's also the boys' jungle gym!
Anyway, back when Dusty and I first started dating (almost 8 years ago!), we were both in college, and surprise, surprise I didn't have much money. But, Dusty loves ice cream cakes, so for his birthdays I decided to try to make my own instead of buying them. I think this was the 6th birthday I've made an ice cream cake, and I think Dusty's been happy with all of them. The great thing about them is that they're so versatile! I've done them with oreo crusts, actual cake layers with ice cream between, and a variety different flavors . . . although most combinations revolve around chocolate and peanut butter because those are Dusty's favorites. The combinations are endless. This year was a cookie crust, hot fudge Reese's PB cups, ice cream, peanuts, ice cream, and whipped cream on the top. It went over really well, although Dusty and I each probably gained a few pounds since we were the only ones who ate it! (So far, Asher hates ice cream - too cold for the little guy!)

Ice Cream Cake

1st layer
1 pkg. Betty Crocker chocolate with peanut butter chips cookie mix
1/3 c. oil
2 T. water
1 egg
Hot fudge topping
Reese's PB cups

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients and press 2/3 into a greased 9-inch springform pan. Spread remaining dough on greased cookie sheet and bake both for 12 minutes. Allow to cool. Spread crust with hot fudge and chopped PB cups (the amount you use is up to you - I think I used 5 fun size candy bars)

2nd layer
2 1/2 c. vanilla ice cream, softened
1/2 c. caramel ice cream topping
1/3 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. dry roasted peanuts, chopped
Mix caramel and peanut butter, and fold into ice cream. Spread over cooled crust and sprinkle with peanuts. Freeze until solid - at least 2 hours.


3rd layer
2 1/2 c. chocolate ice cream, softened
Crumbled cookie from earlier
Mix ice cream with the chocolate peanut butter cookie baked during the first layer. Spread the chocolate ice cream over the vanilla and freeze again.





Top layer
8 oz. container Cool Whip
3/4 c. powdered sugar
Peanuts
Peanut butter cups
Mix Cool Whip with powdered sugar to stiffen, then spread or pipe on top of ice cream. Sprinkle with peanuts and chopped peanut butter cups. Freeze overnight if possible, or at least 2 hours, and eat up!






No comments:

Post a Comment