Friday, August 12, 2011

Hungry for a good read?

While on vacation with my husband's family, I was able to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Surprisingly, I didn't hear about this book from anyone (surprising because it's so popular). Instead, I randomly saw on the internet that it was going to be made into a movie, so I searched for the series and decided to purchase the first book of the series. Money well spent! I'm always leery of buying a book unless I know for certain that I'll enjoy it, but this one seemed right up my alley and it was.

For those of you unfamiliar with the book, it's sci-fi and takes place in the future. The protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, ends up partaking in the Capitol's annual Hunger Games. These games require one boy and one girl from each of the 12 districts to participate in these games as a reminder that the Capitol is in control. It serves as a reminder because only one contestant survives the Hunger Games - the others are killed by other contestants, the elements, or various horrors the Capitol sends in to keep the audience interested. Written in the first person, the book follows Katniss on this nightmarish ordeal.

If you haven't read it yet, you should! Collins has a way of making you feel connected to the characters despite your best efforts (it's the nature and necessity of the Hunger Games to be individualistic). It keeps you wanting to read up to the last sentence of the book. I really look forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy, but unfortunately they're only out in hardcover right now. So, I'll probably wait until they come out in paperback . . . bummer. If you're interested, you can read more about Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games, and other books she's written here and/or here.

No comments:

Post a Comment