Monday, October 08, 2012

Pregnancy Fitness

I don't claim to be a fitness expert, nor do I see myself as even remotely close to being one. I just like to stay active. Yes, chasing two little boys around is active, but it's not the "I-feel-all-sweaty-and-gross-but-I-actually-accomplished-something" feeling I get after doing an actual workout.

I'm trying to keep up my workout routine while I'm pregnant, and so far it's been going well. Although, the last couple weeks I've been a little more tired than usual (chalk that up to kiddos with colds/ear infections, and going back to work) so I may have been slacking a little bit.

But, the bottom line is that I feel better during the day if I can get in a little exercise in the morning. You definitely need to pick the time that works best for you. I tend to have the most energy in the morning, so I choose that time to work out. If I skip it and tell myself I'll do it during the boys' naps, or after Dusty gets home . . . Well, odds are good that it doesn't happen that day.

I don't really have a workout "routine" per se, but I regularly use these two videos:
Walk Away the Pounds Express Walk Strong & Super Challenge with Bonus Stretchie
Walk Away the Pounds
Complete Total Body Transformation System-zumba Fitness
Zumba

These are both workouts I did before I was pregnant, so we'll see how long I'm able to keep doing Zumba. I find I have to modify some of the moves, but at least it's fun  . . . and entertaining for anyone who happens to be watching! The nice thing about Zumba is that it includes a 20-minute workout, and also a 20-minute ab routine that's all standing up. Perfect!

Walk Away the Pounds is nice because the "Walk Strong" workout is 2 miles, but also does strength training, while the "Super Challenge" is 4 miles, and you can choose if you want to stop after 1, 2, 3, or 4 miles. Also, I used this after Aiden was born and had gotten a little older - I put him in the Baby Bjorn and walked with him in it. He loved it and often fell asleep, and the extra 10-20 pounds didn't hurt the goal of getting my body back after baby!

Anyway, the point is that I work out to help me stay positive. Weight gain is inevitable during pregnancy, and it can get depressing even though you know it's healthy for you and baby. I try to workout 5 times a week, but if that doesn't happen I try to do a minimum of 3 days. Taking the boys for a walk in the double stroller is an excellent workout, too - that extra 75-100 pounds of boys and stroller weight makes me feel like I've really worked hard . . . not to mention the added weight of the baby bump. :)

Bottom line: do what feels right for you. If you didn't work out before getting pregnant, try a walking video - it's a great workout (although it can get kind of boring if you're by yourself). Feelin' peppy? Try Zumba, or something along those lines, but above all listen to your body. Pregnancy is not the time to start working out hard-core (you don't want any pulled/strained muscles to add to your pregnancy uncomfortable-ness). But, staying active can keep your spirits lifted, help manage baby-weight gain, and build stamina for labor and delivery.

It's also nice to just do something for myself, that makes me feel good. I also think it helps me avoid the "pregnancy waddle." :) I have yet to experience it with any of my pregnancies, and hope to avoid it with this one, too.

I try not to let it get me down when I don't have the energy or can't fit in a workout - I just tell myself that at least I'm making an effort, and that's good, right?

**Again, not a fitness expert, so make sure you check with your doctor before you start any crazy exercising!**

No comments:

Post a Comment