Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Meyer Lemon Meltaways

When I'm thinking of what to include on my cookie tray, I always remember a piece of advice my mom gave me. When putting together a variety of sweets, it's always nice to include something citrus-y to provide a contrast to the richer, more decadent treats. These Meyer Lemon Meltaways are absolutely perfect. Even if I wasn't looking specifically for a citrus cookie, I would use these again. They are so buttery, tender, and scrumptious, with the perfect amount of tartness from the lemons, and sweetness from the powdered sugar. Cookie perfection.

I ate three of them in a matter of minutes before I stopped myself and dutifully put the rest away. If you don't have Meyer lemons, just use regular lemons. Or, you can use limes, which would be delicious, too. I happened to have some Meyer lemons on hand, courtesy of my parents, so of course I put them to the best use possible - dessert! Just writing this post makes me want to pull them out of the freezer and devour some more. But, I won't . . . Or will I? If my family doesn't see these on their cookie trays, I guess they'll know why. :)


Meyer Lemon Meltaways (original recipe found here)
3/4 c. softened butter
1 c. powdered sugar, divided
zest of 2 Meyer lemons
2 T. fresh Meyer lemon juice
1 T. vanilla
1 3/4 c. + 2 T. flour
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. salt
1. Cream together butter, and 1/3 c. powdered sugar until light and fluffy - 2-3 minutes.
2. Beat in lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, cornstarch, and salt.
3. Stir in flour until a stiff dough forms.
4. Place dough on a piece of plastic wrap, and form it into a 1 1/4 inch diameter log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line 2 pans with parchment paper.
6. Slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick slices (I got 36 cookies out of mine) and place on the cookie sheets.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the bottoms are just slightly browned. Remove from the oven, allow to cool 5-10 minutes, then gently toss with the remaining 2/3 c. powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
**Before serving, you can dust them with powdered sugar again if you want.





Hugs and cookies,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment