Sunday, December 15, 2013

Salted Nut Roll Bars

Decorating's done. Shopping's almost done. Baking . . . not quite there yet. :) There are still a few things left on my list to make, but I'm steadily chipping away. And, at least it's fun! The recipe I'm sharing today is a family favorite, both in my family and Dusty's. Actually, it seems to be a favorite everywhere!

If you make these, you'll be a rock star. Seriously. Every time I've made these, people have fallen in love with them. They're crunchy, chewy, salty and sweet. I love everything about them - especially the fact that they're super easy! I can't believe I haven't shared this recipe with you yet - it's a staple around here, especially at Christmas. It's one of those out-of-the-ordinary additions to your cookie tray that people will love.

I found the recipe in my home church's cookbook years ago. I know there are others floating around on the internet that have slight differences, but I've never bothered trying them because this one turns out perfectly every time! Hope you and yours enjoy them as much as we do!

Salted Nut Roll Bars
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1/2 c. softened butter or margarine
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 c. mini marshmallows
12 oz pkg (2 c.) peanut butter chips
1/4 c. butter or margarine
2/3 c. light corn syrup
2 t. vanilla
2 c. rice krispies
2 c. peanuts (I prefer dry roasted)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9x13 pan.
2. Stir together dry cake mix and egg. With a pastry cutter, or two knives, cut in 1/2 c. softened butter until a crumbly, sand-like mixture forms. Press firmly into prepared pan and bake about 12 minutes.
3. Sprinkle crust with marshmallows, and bake 3-5 more minutes, or until marshmallows are puffed. (They should still be white, not browned.) Allow to cool while you make the topping.
4. In a medium-large saucepan, melt the peanut butter chips, 1/4 c. butter, and corn syrup until smooth. Stir in vanilla, rice krispies, and peanuts.
5. Carefully spread over marshmallow layer, and allow to cool completely before slicing.





Hugs and cookies,
Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment