Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book Series Blues

I know I've found a winner book-wise when I feel a teensy bit depressed when I'm finished. It's rare that this happens to me with a single book, but it's been known to happen when I finish reading a series that I've been pretty invested in.

I just finished reading "The Hunger Games" trilogy, which is what brought me to write this post. It was one of those series where I couldn't put the books down, stayed up later than usual to read them, and literally did nothing but read during the boys' precious nap time . . . Clearly, I was very unproductive for a few days. So after speed-reading to the end, I was left with that "down" feeling where it kind of feels like something's missing for a little bit. Maybe this doesn't happen to you, and it's probably weird, but I actually miss the characters when I'm done. This has happened with Harry Potter (of course), The Lord of the Rings, Twilight, and maybe a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

The first time I ever remember having that type of feeling when I finished a series was when my parents bought The Chronicles of Prydain for my siblings and me one Christmas when I was probably 11 or so. Anyway, I remember laying on the floor in front of the heater, flying through the books and enjoying every second. When it was done, I was so disappointed that I immediately re-read the entire series. Nerd city.

That's what I love about books though - they provide an escape or reprieve from stressors or other things going on in life. Bravo to any author who can achieve that strong of a connection with their reader because that is a rare gift.

On a Side Note: I'll be posting the recipe for some Pumpkin Cupcakes soon - they were pretty yummy! And, I had to share these pics because I think they're hilarious!
I guess he just couldn't wait any longer . . . 

Ohhhh, BUSTED!

No comments:

Post a Comment