Monday, October 10, 2011

Treasure Cookies

Well, it might be the season of sickness, but it's also the season of leftover candy (or will be very shortly). Halloween often leaves our house with random candy that I'm usually not sure what to do with so I end up eating it (which is perfectly fine). BUT, this is a much more creative (and delicious) way to use up that candy. If you're like me, your Halloween candy is all chocolate, and Treasure Cookies work great with lots of different types.

I've seen this done before with peanut butter cookie dough wrapped around miniature Snickers, but thought it would work just as well with other cookie bases and candies subbed in. Actually what led to this experiment was that I found some Dove chocolates that I had forgotten about - and if you know me, you know how rare that is for me to forget about chocolate!!! Anyway, the chocolates had gotten a little hard, but I wasn't about to waste them so I decided to use them in these cookies.

Treasure Cookies
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
12 pieces of unwrapped chocolate, I used Dove
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together butter and sugars until thoroughly combined.
2. Whisk in egg, vanilla, soda, powder, and salt.
3. Stir in flour until just combined.
4. Take 1 Tbls. of dough and place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Place 1 chocolate in center, then drop another Tbls. of dough on top and form it around the chocolate so it's not at all visible. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.





**The Dove chocolate worked okay, but since it's just solid chocolate it doesn't melt into the cookie at all. I think I would prefer Milky Way, Snickers, Reeses PB cups, or maybe one of the flavored Dove chocolates. Anyway, the recipe is a great base - you could use chocolate cookie dough, peanut butter, sugar cookie dough, and mix and match with whatever chocolate candy you have on hand. If you have fun-size candy, I would cut them in half or thirds to make it easier. The cookie dough I used was basically chocolate chip cookie dough minus the chocolate chips, so it would pair well with many flavored chocolates. Hope you have some luck with this recipe!

 On a Side Note: We're sleep-training Aiden via the Ferber method - NOT fun, but it worked great with Asher and has been working well with Aiden so far, too. More specifics on that in the next post! Here's a pic of the patio we put in about a month ago. Huge upgrade from what it used to be.
That's how cracked it was before the guys
started doing anything to it. Yikes
The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment