Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice . . . That's What Cinnamon Rolls Are Made Of!

I can't believe I haven't posted on cinnamon rolls, yet! My very first job (as a 7th or 8th grader, I can't remember now) was making homemade cinnamon rolls every Friday morning for the little grocery store in our tiny town. Does that mean I can list professional baker on my resume? ;)

I suppose I haven't written a post about cinnamon rolls yet because I don't allow myself to make them very often. I don't like the boys to eat a ton of them, and for some reason Dusty doesn't eat many (if any) either, so then I just keep eating, and eating, and eating them. Until they're gone. Then I refuse to let myself make them again for quite a while. My jeans thank me, my mouth does not.

But, Mr. Birthday Boy, Asher, asked for them for his birthday, and I gladly obliged! It made me so happy, too, because I always asked my mom for cinnamon rolls for my birthday - she's the queen of cinnamon rolls. And the best part? She always let me take one right from the middle when they were fresh out of the oven . . . I love the ones in the middle - the softest, gooiest, no-edge ones. Heavenly.

This recipe is a Cinnabon copycat, and it comes pretty darn close. The rolls are gooey with plenty of cinnamon-y filling, and the frosting is aaaaaaamazing. The dough is a dream to work with - it doesn't stick to everything, yet still stays soft and tender after it's baked.

Cinnabon-Style Cinnamon Rolls (original recipe can be found here)
Dough
1 pkg. dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
1 c. warm milk
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. margarine or butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
4-4 1/2 c. flour
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk (about 5 minutes).
2. Add sugar, butter, eggs, and salt and mix well.
3. Using the hook attachment, add the flour and knead about 3 minutes, until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl. (Alternately, you can knead the dough by hand, about 5-8 minutes, or until it comes together in a nice ball).
4. Place dough in a large, greased bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. In the meantime, make the filling and frosting.
Filling
1 c. brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbls. cinnamon
1/3 c. margarine or butter, softened
1. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
2. When dough is ready, roll into an 11x18 rectangle (make sure your surface is floured so the dough doesn't stick).
3. Spread softened butter over dough, and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Press cinnamon-sugar into butter so it sticks.
4. Starting with the long side, start rolling the dough toward you, trying to keep it in a tight roll. Pinch edge to seal it together.
5. Using plain floss, slide it under the dough, bring ends up and across each other (making an x shape), and cut down through the dough. (You can also use a knife to cut the dough, but it seems to squish out the filling. Also, you can use a knife or the floss to score the top of the dough before cutting so you know how many cuts to make - I made 16 rolls)
6. Place cut rolls on a greased baking sheet - 9x13 works well, or 11x15 if you want to give them more room. Cover with cloth and allow to rise 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375 and bake rolls for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Slather with frosting and devour! Best eaten warm, in my opinion. :)

Frosting
1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened
1/4 c. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
dash salt
1. Beat all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

Here is how I used floss to score (or indent) the dough before cutting.
You know they'll be good when they look delicious before they're
even baked!
There is no better smell than fresh cinnamon rolls.
This little guy's about to be devoured by yours truly.

Ooey. Gooey. Deliciousness.
 If you have unfrosted leftovers (I like to frost mine individually unless I'm bringing them somewhere), they make the best French toast. Just slice them in half horizontally, dip in egg/milk mixture, and fry until golden brown. Yum!

Hugs and cookies,

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment