Thursday, June 07, 2012

Funfetti Chex Mix

Funfetti - you know it'll be good. I mean it has the word fun right there in the title so how could it be bad?

We're traveling to St. Louis this week, so I was trying to think of some fun treats for the boys to have either in the car or at the hotel. We love traditional Puppy Chow, but the chocolate can be kind of messy on fingers, clothes, and drooly chins. This recipe uses vanilla almond bark and Funfetti cake mix in place of most of the powdered sugar, so I was really excited to try it out.

Asher and Aiden really like it, and I have to say it's delicious! It's easy to eat a lot of it, so beware! Obviously, it'll still be somewhat messy what with the powdered sugar and cake mix, but at least you won't have chocolate faces and fingers to clean up. :) This would be great as a birthday party treat or even a favor to send home with the kids!

Funfetti Chex Mix (original can be found here)
5 c. rice or corn chex
10 oz. (5 squares) vanilla almond bark
1 tsp. shortening
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 c. Funfetti cake mix (or any cake mix you'd like)
*I used 1 1/2 c. of cake mix, but I really think you could reduce it to 1 c. because I had a lot of powder left in the bottom of my bowl. That's the only change I'd suggest.
1. Pour cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Melt almond bark and shortening in the microwave at 30-second intervals until melted and smooth. Pour over cereal and stir gently until evenly coated.
3. Add powdered sugar and dry cake mix to cereal, and stir until thoroughly coated. Allow to dry and store in an airtight container.


Hugs and cookies,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment