Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Pinterest Projects: Budget Savvy

The idea of making products for the home has become really appealing to me lately. I'm not sure if it's because I know I'm saving money, or if it's because I feel as though I've accomplished something, or maybe it's something else entirely.

Whatever the reason, I've tried a number of "home products" recently, and this is one I feel is worth sharing. Fabric softener can be pretty spendy, so when I saw this recipe for making it at home I thought I'd give it a go. The first time I made it, I was a little bummed that I couldn't really smell the fabric softener, so the next time I made it I bumped up the "smelly" ingredient by 1 1/2, and it seemed to make a difference. Next time, I might even add some essential oil to it to enhance it even more . . . We'll see.

Anyway, this fabric softener works well, and is considerably less expensive than buying the nice ones from the store. All you need are three easy ingredients:

Homemade Fabric Softener (original can be found here)
6 c. hot water
3 c. white vinegar
3 c. Suave conditioner (I used Ocean Breeze, but use your favorite scent)
1. Mix all ingredients together until conditioner is dissolved.
2. Shake before each use, and use as you would any other fabric softener.
 I use an old fabric softener container to store it in, and my Downy ball in the 
wash - same as I always have.



1 comment:

  1. That looks like a great idea. I would say maybe be cautious with the essential oils. It might stain the clothes weird.

    --d'Artagnan

    ReplyDelete