You can certainly leave out the Reese's Pieces, or the frosting, or both, but the combination of the two on top of the bars is really, really yummy. I found the recipe over here, on the blog of a girl I went to high school with and her husband. If you get a chance check it out! It's a fun blog and deals with lots of relevant problems including financial, spiritual, relationship, parenting, and many others.
Peanut Butter Crunch Bars with Reese's Pieces
1/2 c. margarine, softened
1/2 c. shortening
1 3/4 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. milk
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. flour
3 c. oatmeal
3/4-1 c. Reese's Pieces (could also use chocolate chips, Reese's PB Cups, M&Ms, or I think Snickers would be good, too!)
1. Preheat oven to 350, and grease an 11x15 pan. (This makes a lot, so you could probably put it in two 9x13 pans and bring one to a friend or to work!)
2. Cream together margarine, shortening, both sugars, and peanut butter until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
3. Add eggs, vanilla, milk, soda, and salt, and beat again for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in flour and oatmeal until combined. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
5. Sprinkle Reese's Pieces over the top and press in lightly with your hand. Bake 25-28 minutes, or until light golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
3/4 c. peanut butter
2 1/2 Tbls. margarine
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar
1/3-1/2 c. water
1. Beat together all ingredients but water until smooth and creamy.
2. Slowly add in 1/3 c. water and see if it's the consistency you want. If you want it thinner, add water one Tbls. at a time until it's how you like.
Hugs and cookies,