Thursday, June 28, 2012

An Anniversary Ice Cream Cake

When our anniversary rolls around, I like to make something a little more special than my usual bars or cookies. This year, it fell during the week that I had also made this Strawberry Shortcut Cake. I originally wanted to make a decadent layer cake of some sort, but when I mentioned it to my husband, he seemed less than enthused. I think the conversation went something like this:
Me: "I was going to make a cake for our anniversary, but I don't really want to make it if you'll only eat one piece out of courtesy and then a lot of it will go to waste."
Dusty: "Well what kind of cake are we talkin'?"
Me: "What do you mean - I mean just some type of cake, something out of the ordinary."
Dusty: "Well, if you're talking ice cream cake, then obviously it'll get eaten . . . "

And so, this ice cream cake was concocted the day before our anniversary, and it was eaten gobbled up pretty quickly! I've made a lot of ice cream cakes over the years, so I usually don't follow a recipe. I just kind of go with what sounds good. Here's how this one looked

Ice Cream Cake
Peanut Butter Cookie Base
1 pkg. sugar cookie mix
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 8 inch springform pan.
2. Mix all ingredients together until dough comes together.
3. Press dough into prepared pan and bake approximately 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown on top.
4. Allow to cool, and remove cookie from pan. Slice off about 1/2-3/4 inch off top of the cookie and save for later. Place bottom portion back in the pan.

Ice Cream Layers
1 1/2-2 c. chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
1/2 c. hot fudge sauce, plus more for drizzling
8 fun size Reese's PB Cups, chopped
2 1/2-3 c. Blue Bunny Toffee Lovers Ice Cream, slightly softened
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream, whipped
1 c. light cool whip
Toffee pieces, crumbled peanut butter cookie (set aside from earlier), and hot fudge for garnishes
1. Spread chocolate ice cream over cooled cookie crust, followed by hot fudge sauce. Sprinkle with PB cups and freeze 1-2 hours.
2. Spread Toffee Ice Cream over the peanut butter cups, and place back in freezer for 1-2 hours.
3. Gently fold together whipped cream and cool whip. Using a pastry bag with a large star tip (or even a plastic bag with a whole cut in one corner), pipe the mixture over the top, starting from the outside and working in. Alternately, you can simply spread it over the top.
4. Crumble the cookie over the top, sprinkle with toffee pieces, and drizzle with hot fudge. Place back in the fridge for at least 3 hours so everything has a chance to set up.
5. When ready to serve, remove sides of springform pan, and run a large, sturdy knife under hot water so it slices more easily. Enjoy!

 The roses were from my hubby, and the sunflowers from my boys!

I'm not sure why the pictures turned out either really bright or really blurry, so I do apologize for that!


We went out to eat at Granite City for supper that night, and it was delicious - nothing beats their Chicken Caesar Chalupa! The boys were a little wild, but pretty well behaved for the most part, so that was fun!
 "My brother's hilarious!"
 "Okay, maybe I've had enough . . . "
And one family photo - hard to believe five short years ago Dusty and I were just starting married life together! I'm one lucky lady.

Hugs and Cookies,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment