Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Parenting Blunders

Tell me I'm not the only one . . .

As I was writing a blog post the other evening, my husband was laying on the floor checking his iPad, Asher was looking at Green Eggs and Ham, and Aiden was playing nicely with a toy tool set . . .

Or so we thought.

"AIDEN! NO!"

I jerked my gaze away from the computer screen to look at Aiden, only to find him covered, and I mean covered, in Desitin cream. We keep a big tub around because when Aiden gets diaper rash he gets it pretty severely. Apparently he either discovered how to twist the cap off (which wouldn't surprise me, the little MacGyver) or we didn't screw the lid on tightly. Either way, Aiden's hands were covered in the thick, white, gloppy stuff, and he must have tried to use it like lotion because both of his legs were covered, too.

His clothes didn't escape unscathed either, but that's not what concerned us. Horror of horrors, I saw white on his lip. Yep, he ate some. I wiped his mouth out as best I could, and we gave him some milk to drink. It didn't seem like much was in there, but you can never really know for sure.

Dusty and I both jumped on the internet to do some quick research on side effects, then I called poison control just to be sure. The nurse I talked to assured me that kids get into Desitin all the time. Well, I felt a teensy bit better, but not a whole lot. But, she did reassure me, saying that if he ate a mouthful or less, it's non-toxic. If he ate more, we could see vomiting, diarrhea, and/or nausea, but that would be the extent of it.

PHEW! That was a relief. Aiden must not have eaten much because he had zero side effects. Thank the good Lord for that!

It just goes to show that right when you think your little one is at an age where you don't have to keep quite as close an eye on him, well, you're probably wrong.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment