Thursday, July 26, 2012

Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Growing up, I remember my mom making chocolate-covered frozen bananas during the summer, and they were one of my favorite treats! I love the combination of chocolate and banana, but for some reason don't do a whole lot with it in my baking. Well, this recipe took me right back to those good ol' days, and is different enough from regular banana bread to make it a real treat.

If you're looking for a tasty twist on a traditional favorite, this recipe is definitely for you! The cocoa powder in the batter gives a hint of chocolate-y-ness, and the chocolate chips are a surprise burst of more intense chocolate flavor that help the bread stay nice and moist. But, have no fear, the chocolate doesn't overwhelm the banana flavor; it enhances it and makes that delicious combination.

I made a few changes to the recipe, so you can either follow the link to the original, or make it as I list below. I hope you enjoy this one as much as my family and I did! (I even doubled the recipe and stuck one in the freezer for later - an added bonus to making banana bread is that it freezes so well!)

Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (original recipe can be found here)
1 c. coconut oil (if you don't have this, feel free to sub. vegetable or canola oil)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
1 c. light sour cream
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
4 Tbls. cocoa powder
2 c. white whole wheat flour
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 9x5 loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, bananas, and sour cream.
3. Stir in salt, soda and cocoa powder until combined.
4. Stir in flour until just combined, followed by chocolate chips (don't overmix once you add the flour, or your bread will be tough).
5. Divide batter evenly between pans, and bake for 55-60 minutes. (1 hour was perfect for mine)
6. Let sit ten minutes in pan, then run a knife around the edges and turn loaves out onto cooling racks to cool completely. (I couldn't wait to let mine cool all the way so I dug in and ooooh was it a moist, melty treat!)



Hugs and cookies,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment