The wonderful thing about these cookies is how absolutely light and airy they are. They're like crisp puffs of air with a light peppermint taste complemented by the light dip in chocolate. You can drizzle chocolate over the tops if you prefer, instead of dipping; and, if you don't want to pipe the meringues, you can certainly just drop them by Tbls. onto the baking sheet and they'll be just as lovely and delicious.
Mint Meringue Kisses (original recipe can be found here)
4 egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
6-7 drops of green food coloring
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper - do not grease.
2. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a mixer and use the whisk attachment to whisk on high until soft peaks form, 2-3 minutes.
3. Add sugar 1 Tbls. at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form, another 2-3 minutes.
4. Beat in peppermint extract and food coloring.
5. Using a large star tip, pipe 1 inch stars on the parchment paper, leaving about 1 inch between each one.
6. Bake for 1 hour, turn the oven off, and leave the pans in the oven for another hour until they're cool and dry.
7. Melt together chocolate chips and vegetable oil, and drizzle over top of meringues, or dip tops in it. Allow chocolate to cool and set.
Hugs and cookies,