I used my own chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, and since I was using a 9x13 pan I used an entire 14 oz. bag of caramels instead of 11 oz. as the original recipe calls for in an 8x8 pan. I thought there was still plenty of caramel flavor and texture without fully doubling the caramel called for, but feel free to use 22 oz. instead of 14, if you want. Also, to make this recipe even easier, you can use store-bought cookie dough. I'd use two packages, one for the bottom crust, one for the top, if you're using a 9x13 pan.
I think this recipe would be really versatile, too - it would be excellent with peanut butter cookie dough, or oatmeal chocolate chip, or even sugar cookie dough. I love recipes that I can easily change up for a delicious treat!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
1 c. melted butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2-2 c. chocolate chips
14 oz. bag of caramels, unwrapped
2 Tbls. milk or cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and grease a 9x13 pan.
2. Stir together melted butter, and both sugars until smooth.
3. Stir in eggs, vanilla, salt, and soda.
4. Stir in flour until just combined, and then stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Spread half the dough in the prepared pan.
6. Melt together caramels and milk until smooth. Pour over dough in the pan.
7. Use the rest of the cookie dough to spread over the top of the caramel, doing your best to make sure all the caramel is covered.
8. Bake about 45 minutes, until the edges are golden brown, and the top is lightly browned. Allow to come to room temperature, then refrigerate for about half an hour before cutting.
Hugs and cookies,