Tuesday, December 11, 2012

12 Days of Goodies: Day 1 - Monster Bars

It's that time of year again when I get a little more baking-crazy than usual (which is saying something) and I couldn't be more excited! I love Christmas-time and all that goes along with it - decorations, lights, Christmas church services, Christmas programs (Asher's in his first one this year!), and baking!

*I don't know if I'll get 12 days in a row, but I'll be sure to get ya 12 goodies before Christmas! Hmm . . . I guess I left it a little late this year . . . Surprise, surprise.

The first recipe is an old stand-by that's not just good for Christmas, but year-round. It's a crowd-pleaser every time, the bars are easy to throw together, and the recipe makes a lot! Can't go wrong!

Monster Bars (recipe from my mom)
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. peanut butter (you can use crunchy or smooth; I prefer smooth)
4 1/2 c. oatmeal
1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. M&Ms (feel free to use the Christmas ones to make them festive!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 11x17 pan.
2. Cream together butter and sugars until fully combined and fluffy - 2-3 minutes. Scrape down bowl.
3. Add eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and peanut butter and beat again until everything's smooth.
4. Slowly stir in oatmeal, chocolate chips, and M&Ms - you might need to do some by hand at the end to make sure it's all fully incorporated.
5. Spread in prepared pan, and bake 17-20 minutes, or until edges are light golden brown. You don't want to over-bake these because you want them to stay nice and soft and chewy.



Hugs and cookies,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment