Friday, December 09, 2011

12 Days of Goodies - Day 1: Grandma's PB Cornflake Bars

In my opinion, any recipe that has "Grandma" in it is bound to be delicious. This one is no exception. My Grandma used to make these bars for us when we'd come visit, and I can remember hovering around as she poured them into the pan to cool; my mom and I always picked at the edges, and I inevitably burned my mouth every time because they're too good to let sit until they cool. I think they're actually supposed to have melted chocolate chips on top, but they never lasted long enough for that and nobody missed it! These bars are nostalgia in a pan for me, and even though Grandma's gone, when I make these I remember her as clearly as if I saw her today. This recipe holds wonderful memories for me, and I hope one day my grandkids will enjoy these bars as much as I did/do. But, in the meantime I hope you enjoy them!

Grandma's Peanut Butter Cornflake Bars
1 c. white sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. butter or margerine
9 c. cornflakes
1. Grease a 9x13 pan. Pour cornflakes into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Place first four ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.
3. Pour mixture over cereal, stir until thoroughly combined, and press firmly into prepared pan. Allow to cool (if you can!) and eat up!

On a Side Note: Well, we got our Christmas tree set up and decorated . . . Turns out I underestimated. Instead of not being able to have decorations on the bottom foot of the tree, it's more like the bottom 2 feet. Aiden is alllllll over it. It's pretty funny, actually. Asher still gets so excited when we turn it on each night - he is so excited about Christmas this year! Also, when Aiden cries, he used to say "Aiden's sad" or "Aiden's crying," but I guess he decided to make up his own word. Now, he says "Aiden's sadding." I get a kick out of it every time. :)
Digging in the tree for ornaments . . . 
And eating the decorations.
I'm not sure if he was taking these off or putting them on . . .
Oh yeah, he was taking them off to throw the "ball" and "play"
the French horn, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment