Sunday, December 11, 2011

12 Days of Goodies - Day 3: Raspberry-Strawberry Almond Bars

As much as I love chocolate, for the holidays it's always good to include a treat that has some type of fruit. I saw these bars here and figured I can't go wrong with Ms. Betty Crocker. I made a few changes to the recipe because it says to bake it in a 9 in. square pan, but I knew that wouldn't be large enough for my needs. So I doubled the recipe, baked it in a 10x15 pan, and used half strawberry and half raspberry for the preserves and fruit required. I was pretty happy with the results - they're chewy and sweet, but slightly tart from the fruit. It was a really nice combination, and a recipe I'll definitely keep in my repertoire!

Raspberry-Strawberry Almond Bars
3 c. flour
3 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. cold butter
2 eggs
3/4 c. each strawberry jam and raspberry jam
1 c. each strawberries and raspberries (I used frozen - I thawed and drained them)
1 c. slivered almonds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 10x15 pan.
2. Mix oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Reserve 2 cups for topping. 
3. Stir in eggs to the remaining mixture in bowl until moistened. Press into bottom of pan.
4. Stir jams together, then spread over the crust. Sprinkle with the fruit.
5. Stir almonds into reserved crumb mixture, then sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until light golden brown. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.



No comments:

Post a Comment