Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12 Days of Goodies - Day 12: Sweet Dreams Chocolate Fudge

Well, here we are people, the twelfth and last day of goodies! I'm surprised I was able to get all 12 done and posted . . . Sometimes my initial ambition kicks my butt at the end.
This last day is taking us candy-making again, and don't be frightened of making your own fudge. This is my go-to recipe, and after a couple years of trying different recipes I can tell you I haven't found one better. And the wonderful thing about this fudge recipe is that there's no candy thermometer required. Usually if you run into trouble with fudge it's because candy thermometers can be finicky, you have to stir for an hour so it doesn't burn, or it ends up grainy.
I have never had any of those issues with this recipe. The first time I made it I was shocked and disbelieving that I only had to boil the sugar mixture for 5 minutes; so, I boiled it a couple extra minutes. It definitely didn't ruin the fudge - it wasn't as creamy as it would have been if I had trusted the directions, but there was a slightly "off" aftertaste. So trust me when I tell you that you only need to boil it for five minutes - it will thicken and set up beautifully for you. I usually leave the nuts out of mine, even though I prefer them, because it seems as though the boys in our extended families prefer it that way and they tend to eat most of it (ahem, Jon).

Sweet Dreams Chocolate Fudge
1 7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2/3 c. evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
1/4 c. butter
1/4 tsp. salt
3 c. milk chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional
1. Line an 8x8 pan with tin foil and set aside.
2. Combine marshmallow cream, sugar, milk, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a full boil at medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick.
3. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and vanilla until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and let sit at place in refrigerator for 2 hrs, or until firm.
*I've never tried it, but you could substitute semi-sweet, bittersweet, or white chocolate chips and it would probably work the same. And I bet peanut butter chips would work well, too, now that I think about it . . . I love peanut butter fudge. I might have to try that one out myself!
After it cools it's still shiny and smooth on top

Creamy goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment