Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I finally got around to reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs, after having it on my Amazon wishlist for about 6-8 months. Sometimes I just put books on there to remind myself I want to read them. It's a good thing I do, too, because when I remember to check it I always find myself surprised at what I have on there!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children [Book]

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the originality of this book. It's along the same vein of fantasy/sci-fi books that I love, but was refreshingly different.

Jacob, the protagonist, loves listening to tales of his grandpa's adventures when he's younger, but he gets to a certain age and realizes there's no way those things actually happened. The photos his grandpa shows him of children levitating and holding enormous boulders are clearly just made to look that way. Well, after his grandpa dies under abnormal circumstances, Jacob finds himself on a journey that takes him to a remote island in search of answers. He finds himself face-to-face with the children from his grandpa's photographs and none of them has aged.

While thrilled that these children are real, and so then are his grandpa's stories, Jacob finds himself faced with a very difficult choice. And, he must make this choice while in extreme danger not only to himself, but his family.

It really was an interesting read, and I'm thrilled that Riggs is working on a sequel! Interestingly, the photos peppered throughout the book are real photos that people have acquired through the years and Riggs was able to locate and use. Although, I will say the photos displayed throughout the book were more disturbing to me than anything else. They didn't really jive with the way I was picturing the characters from the descriptions given. But, that was a minor deterrent for me that didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. Definitely check it out!!

2 comments: