Thursday, April 12, 2012

Taking "Me Time" Isn't Selfish, It's Necessary

Becoming a parent means giving up a lot of things. Sleep, long showers, sleep, running a "quick" errand, and sleep are just a few of the things that have changed drastically since Asher was born about 2 1/2 years ago.

"Don't worry little brother, I'll teach you
everything  you need to know."
Needless to say, having Aiden 16 1/2 months later didn't make things any easier in those departments. My days are spent with our two boys, and while I don't work outside the home, I definitely don't have extra time during the day to sit around doing nothing.

Someone always needs something to drink, something to eat, a diaper changed, help getting unstuck from between two toys or pieces of furniture they somehow wedged themselves between; a meal needs to be fixed, dishes need to be done, laundry needs to be washed/dried/folded/put away (always - I despise that chore), and the floor should desperately needs to be swept because every time I walk I'm crunching toddler crumbs under my feet (that's much more noticeable when it's warmer out and I'm no longer wearing socks around the house).

Aaaaand someone always needs to get dressed . . . again.
But, you can bet once naptime rolls around I'm taking some "me" time. Usually that's when I read, because even after 2 1/2 years as a mom I'm still adjusting to the fact that I can't just plop down with a good book anytime I feel like it. I could definitely use that time to do chores around the house, and usually some of that naptime is spent doing just that, but not all of it.

Partners in crime . . . I can only guess at the trouble they'll get into.
I'm much better at doing my job, being a mom, when I can spend some time doing something that makes me me. Because honestly, that's partially what shaped me into the mom I am. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that I'm this spectacular, super-mom, but I know my boys love me (in spite of the fact that I can't get either of them to willingly give me a hug or a kiss anymore!).

"The look" Asher gave me when I asked
 him to smile for a picture . . .
"The look" Aiden gave me when I asked
him to smile for a picture.




















So, even if the only "me" time I get is playing the piano and singing along for 5-10 minutes while the boys pound on any keys they can reach, I'll take it because keeping my sanity is more important than keeping our house impeccably clean and tidy (is that even possible with toddlers?).

It's great when Dad's around to coax a smile for the camera :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Since you like to read, I wondered if you might be interested in learning more about cryptic crosswords. If so, this is a link to a post I did recently on cryptic crossword clues that involve anagrams. Cryptic Crossword Clues - Anagrams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. Sounds interesting!

      Delete