Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Best-Ever Chex Mix

This recipe was all over Pinterest not too long ago (maybe it still is) and I can definitely see why. Not only does it look fantastic, but it is so, so, so, so, so GOOD! Chocolate, caramel, PB cups, marshmallows, melted chocolate . . . what's not to love? After the first bite I thought, "Yeah, this is good, but maybe not the 'Best Ever' . . ." 
And then I kept eating, and eating, and eating. And then it was gone. And I was sad. It is the Best Ever. 

However, if you search for the recipe, you'll have to look under "Better than Sex Chex Mix." I hate when recipes have "Better than Sex" or "White Trash" in the titles. Bugs me for some reason, so I usually forego that title and use something similar when I post. 

Best-Ever Chex Mix (original recipe can be found here)
8 c. (or one 14 oz. box) chocolate chex
6 Tbls. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
3 Tbls. light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. caramel bits + 1 T. milk or cream (or 1/2 c. peanut butter chips)
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. milk chocolate chips
1 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. Reese's miniatures (the ones that come with no wrappers)
1/2-1 tsp. coarse sea salt
1. Pour cereal into a large, microwave-safe bowl and set aside.
2. Microwave butter, sugar, and syrup for 1 minute, stir, then microwave for another minute. Stir in baking soda until combined.
3. Pour caramel mixture over cereal and stir to coat. Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute.
4. Spread on tin-foil-lined baking sheet and allow to cool.
5. Sprinkle with Reese's and marshmallows.
6. Melt each of the toppings separately (caramel, white chocolate, milk chocolate) and drizzle over the mixture. Sprinkle with sea salt and place in fridge to cool. DEEEEEEEEEEEVOUR! 

*I've used both the caramel bits and the PB chips and both are really good. The only reason I would prefer the PB chips is because the caramel doesn't really harden - it stays gooey and sticky. Delicious, but sticky.

1 comment:

  1. I can also say that it didn't last long at our house...maybe 5 minutes and it was gone:(