Friday, April 13, 2012

It's Never too Early to Start a Family Tradition (and recipe for PB Popcorn!)

I think one of the things Dusty and I were most looking forward to after we had kids was starting our own family traditions. Both of us have great memories of things we did with our own families, and I think we're hoping our boys one day have the same.

So, once Asher was old enough, we started having Movie Night at our house. Usually it's on Fridays because we're all ecstatic that the weekend's here, but I think we've probably had it on every night of the week at least once, whether it was because we were out of town, ran out of time, or Dusty and I actually had plans on a Friday night (although, to be honest, I don't think that last one's ever come up . . .)

One of the things I love about it is that Asher looks so forward to it. "Mommy, watch a noovie in four days. What should we watch? Toy Dohwee? OK!" That's the monologue I've heard about 80 times this week, but the movie has varied among "Chipmunks," "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," "Monsters, Inc.," and "Toy Story."


The funny thing is that it started out being just a fun tradition, but the anticipation is actually helping Asher learn a sense of time. Initially, this week, I told him we'd watch a movie in 5 days, and since then, he's gotten the countdown right every day - 4, 3, 2, 1 . . . Although, he seems to have a hard time grasping the concept that today is sooner than 1 day. Oh well, he'll learn!


The other added bonus of having a family movie night is that I actually have people to eat popcorn with me! Seems nerdy, I know, but Dusty never really eats it, and it just isn't very fun to sit there eating popcorn all by myself as we watch a movie. Don't get me wrong, I still do it; it's just more fun when someone else is eating it, too. :) Classic, butter and salt is the way we usually go and Asher, Aiden, and I gobble it up. But today, I made something a little more special that is really delicious.

However, it's sitting on the table staring me in the face right now, so hopefully it lasts until movie time . . .

Peanut Butter Popcorn (original recipe can be found here)
8 cups popped popcorn, with unpopped kernels removed
3/4 c. dry roasted peanuts
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. corn syrup
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Snickers eggs, Snickers, or candy of choice (chopped) if you want the added indulgence . . . which I did.
Boil the sugar, honey, and corn syrup.
Stir in PB and vanilla, then pour it over popcorn and peanuts.
Spread it on a baking sheet and sprinkle with chopped candy.
Take a break to clean up the fruit loops someone dumped all over the
floor while your back was turned . . . Or wait, maybe that's just me.
Put in the oven for 5 minutes and then let cool.
1. Mix popcorn and peanuts in a large bowl, and line a baking sheet with waxed paper or tin foil.
2. Bring sugar, honey, and corn syrup to a boil, and boil for 1-2 minutes. Don't boil it too long or your popcorn will be rock-hard when it's done.
3. Remove mixture from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Spread on prepared baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle candy over popcorn and put in the oven. Turn it to 250 degrees, and leave it in for about 5 minutes just so the candy can melt a little and stick to the popcorn (your oven does not have to be preheated first)
5. Eat warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! I love this post. We had a family tradition of building forts and sleeping in them in our basement. To this day, I still think so fondly of those memories. However, we never ooey gooey amazing popcorn. If we were lucky, someone remembered to grab the Doritos bag before we went downstairs. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad it brought back fond memories for you - it's fun to reminisce!

      Delete