Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Book-to-Film: "The Hunger Games"


















Well, I've been waiting on pins and needles since I first read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and discovered it was being made into a film. Dusty and I had a mini getaway this past weekend and went to see it . . .

. . .

SO WORTH IT! I loved every second. It's one of those movies where as soon as it was finished I could have easily watched it again. I was concerned going in since we'd seen some negative reviews about a lack of character development. I was not disappointed with what they did with the characters. I felt the important parts of the book were included, and yes some things were left out, but that's always the case with a book-to-film adaptation. I had just re-read the book the week before we went, and I'm glad I did because everything was fresh in my mind, and the things they left out in the film I could easily fill in with what I knew happened in the book.

A former professor of mine said that you have to see the film as a separate entity than the book. I always try to keep that in mind because it really is true and great advice. I've found myself far less disappointed when I go in with this attitude. Of course, I can't help but compare the movie to the book, and there are always things I wish could have been included; but, it's impossible to include everything from a 300+ page book in a 2 1/2 hour film.

I have yet to see a movie that I think is "better" than the book, and that's why it's pointless to expect them to be equal. A film can't capture everything the book presents, which is part of the glory of reading. But, I think "The Hunger Games" was really, really well done, and I can't wait to see how they do with Catching Fire, the sequel.

And here's something to make you smile or laugh . . . which I do, out loud, every time I see this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment