Friday, May 04, 2012

Chocolate Malt Cookies

Don't you just love a chocolate malt? I do - thick, creamy, chocolate-y, malt-y, and OH-SO-DELICIOUS!
Now I want one.

If you're looking to get that flavor in a non-ice cream way, then look no further! These cookies definitely fit the bill. I adapted the recipe slightly from here, and the results were wonderful. I tried making cookies similar to this a few years ago, but I couldn't really taste the malt flavor and the cookies were flat as pancakes. It was extremely disappointing. But, I've hit the mark this time and you can reap the benefits of my previous failure trial-run!

The texture was soft and chewy, with just a slight crispiness on the edges. I tried one right out of the oven and was immediately disappointed that the malt flavor wasn't very strong. You have to wait until they cool completely to really taste it. Take it from me - when I went back to eat one that night, I was wonderfully surprised by the flavor! The chocolate and malt flavors had blended perfectly and deliciously. Phew! Although, I would have eaten them anyway . . .

Chocolate Malt Cookies
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. malted milk powder
1 Tbls. chocolate syrup
1 Tbls. vanilla
1 egg
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. malted milk balls, roughly chopped
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375, and grease a cookie sheet.
2. Beat butter and shortening until combined. Add sugar, malt powder, chocolate syrup, baking soda, and salt and beat on med.-high for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl.
3. Add egg and vanilla, and beat an additional 2 minutes.
4. Stir in flour until combined, and fold in malted milk balls and chocolate chips.
5. Drop dough by Tbls. onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool before eating.
I fit 8 cookies on my cookie sheet and that seemed about right 
 As you can see, they spread, so don't try to squeeze them together too much.
 I think the malted milk balls make them bake up a little goofier 
around the edges, but they sure taste great!



Some of these went in the freezer . . . most went in my tummy.

Hugs and cookies,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment