Wednesday, May 23, 2012

White Chocolate Raspberry Rose Cake

I've been wanting to make a "rose cake" for quite a while now, but nothing had come up to justify making and decorating an entire cake. But, when Mother's Day rolled around and I knew we'd be spending it with my mom and the rest of my family I thought "OK, this is a great opportunity for this and I know it'll get eaten!" I'm the second of six kids, and everyone plus significant others and grandkids was there, so it's a big family.

The tutorial uses a 1M star tip to make the roses, and for some reason I assumed my mom would have one at her house so I didn't bring my own . . . Oops! She had one that was much smaller, so I gave it a go with that, and it still turned out so pretty! This decorating technique is very forgiving, and yet so elegant.

You start with a thin crumb coat of frosting over your cake, so if you mess up on a rose you can just wipe it off and redo it. It's great.

The tutorial I used can be found here. It's very easy to follow. Obviously my cake looks quite different than hers - I think using the smaller tip made it look more vintage-y, so I guess I'm glad it worked out that way because now I know the look of the cake can vary depending on what size tip you use. That's great to know considering you might want a different look depending on the type of situation you're using the cake for (i.e., if you're providing the cake for a wedding, engagement party, birthday, shower, that has a more vintage feel.) Either way you frost it, it'll look gorgeous.

I used a white cake for the layers, and you can find the recipe here (it's the same recipe I use for my white wedding cakes/cupcakes).

For the filling between the layers, I used a raspberry buttercream frosting.
Raspberry Buttercream Filling
1/2 c. softened butter
1/2 c. seedless raspberry jam
3 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbls. milk, if needed
1. Beat butter and jam until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
2. Add in powdered sugar (with mixer off) and beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
3. If frosting seems too thick, add in milk until desired consistency.

To frost the top and sides, I used a white chocolate buttercream (the original recipe can be found here.
White Chocolate Buttercream
1 1/2 c. softened butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbls. milk
9 oz. white chocolate, chopped (do not use chocolate chips)
1. In a microwaveable bowl, melt the white chocolate at 50% power at 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Beat butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla on med./high until light and fluffy, approximately 4 minutes.
3. Add in milk and beat again until combined.
4. Pour in the melted, cooled chocolate and beat again for about 1 minute.

Frosting/Assembly
1.Place a small dollop of frosting on plate or cake stand to hold the cake in place. Place one cake layer in the center.
2. Use raspberry buttercream filling to frost the top of the first cake layer, leaving about a 1/2 inch border.
3. Top with second cake layer.
4. Frost top and sides of entire cake with a thin layer (a crumb coat) of white chocolate buttercream. You should still be able to see the cake through the frosting - it does not need to perfect!
5. Place your decorator's tip in your pastry bag, and fill about 1/2-2/3 full of frosting.
6. Starting with the sides of the cake, position tip of pastry bag in the center, and slowly circle around in a spiral motion until you reach the top and bottom of the cake. Continue doing this until you've made roses around the entire side of the cake.
7. Do the same thing with the top, but start on the outsides and work your way to the center.
8. Once you've completed all your roses, go back and fill in any empty spaces with smaller roses, or a little swoop. (I used both depending on the size of the gap.)
9. Admire your handiwork and eat up!







The only complaint I got about this cake came from my brother (so that doesn't count, right?). His complaint was that there was too much frosting . . . I tend to eat all the frosting because I love frosting. But, just to warn you, using a piping bag and doing the roses does require a lot of frosting, so you'll end up with more than if you just frosted it with an offset spatula. That being said, know that you don't have to eat all the frosting. :)

Hugs and cookies,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment